January 1, 2012

Greetings from the Granite State

New Hampshire has 18 miles of coastline. My favorite time to wander the coast is winter. There's no one around, except a few other cold weather walkers, a hand full of hearty surfers and a million seagulls.

 Given all the rocks, as the tide goes out there's bunches of tide pools to explore.
I love the delicate trail the hermit crab leaves behind in this pool.
Hermit crab versus monster truck.
This nest of seaweed reminded me that I have dried seaweed in a ziplock bag somewhere in my studio, collected on a previous visit. It's vine-like with bulbous protrusions. I need to make something based on its form. It's beautiful. Looks like an india ink exercise from a long ago art class. Drip india ink on a page and use a straw to blow the ink out into tentacles or branches. 
Speaking of "branches," I'm fascinated with these patterns formed in the sand by the retreating tide.
I'm picturing these forms embroidered on something.
The seagull tracks are cryptic messages.

More cryptic messages. I'd like to think that the 3rd from the left on the bottom row is an exploding cell phone. Jon guessed that it represents fireworks. Sadly, I have to admit he's probably right.

No comments:

Post a Comment