February 17, 2012

Thank Goodness for Books

How do you combat the winter duldrums? I feel like I haven’t been successful battling the blahs this week, but maybe that’s just because I’m tired. Yesterday, even though it feels like I accomplished nothing much at all, was an explosion of ideas for a line of greeting cards. The first in the series is ready to roll out as soon as the shipping materials arrive. I was about to put them in my Etsy shop when it belatedly dawned on me that I don’t have adequate mailers for them. Let’s be nice and chalk it up to the fog outside entering my brain.

This is our first winter in SW Ohio. The temperatures have been all over the place, usually somewhere between 20 & 65 degrees. After 4 ½ years in North Carolina, I was looking forward to a real winter. I’m from New Hampshire, real winter to me is cold and snowy. My personal test for whether or not it is truly cold is to go outside and take a deep breath. If the mucus in my nose freezes, it’s cold. I’m a little disappointed this hasn’t happened here in Ohio. Also, besides a few dustings of snow, we’ve had rain. Rain I don’t know what to do with. With snow I can spend the entire day outside snowshoeing. Suffice it say I’ve been a little stir crazy.

That’s where the books come in. I love libraries. I love that I have 3 different library cards. I can check books out from any of the public libraries in my county, any of the three public libraries in a nearby system, and any of the Miami University libraries. Nothing like a big stack of pretty picture books to chase away the winter blahs.

Currently on loan:

The big green book of recycled crafts
Sullivan, Susan White

Traditional Scandinavian knitting
McGregor, Sheila.

Woodland style : ideas and projects for bringing foraged and found elements into your home
Marshall, Marlene Hurley

Craftivity : 40 projects for the DIY lifestyle
Carson, Tsia

Creative crafts you can do in a day
Janes, Susan Niner

Easy-to-make old-fashioned toys
Provenzo, Eugene F.

Encyclopedia of projects for the Weekend crafter
Taylor, Terry

House proud
Proud, Danielle

Last-minute patchwork & quilted gifts
Hoverson, Joelle

Martha Stewart's encyclopedia of sewing and fabric crafts : basic techniques for sewing, appliqué, embroidery, quilting, dyeing, and printing, plus 150 inspired projects from A to Z.
Stewart, Martha

Felt : 30 fun projects for felt (and fabric) lovers
Carestio, Amanda

Simple contemporary quilts : bold new designs for the first-time quilter /
Shrader, Valerie Van Arsdale

Paper perfect : 25 bright ideas for paper
Ishaque, Labeena

Garden anywhere : how to grow gorgeous container gardens, herb gardens, kitchen gardens, and more - without spending a fortune
Fowler, Alys

Fast, fresh garden edibles : quick crops for small spaces
Courtier, Jane

Gardening in containers
Horton, Alvin

The complete idiot's guide to small space gardening
McLaughlin, Chris

After dark
Murakami, Haruki

Strong motion
Franzen, Jonathan

No comments:

Post a Comment