May 22, 2012

Experimentation

After a long afternoon of not focusing on business planning, I decided to experiment in the studio. I've had a bunch of new ideas turning over in my head for a few days now. Because I research everything to death - in the name of making informed decisions, of course - I tend to get hung up on the details and fail to actually work. Case in point, the next cards in the Loyal Luddite collection. The hold up? Finding THE right solvent-free, water-proof adhesive to permanently bind pieces of carved rubber block to clear acrylic blocks. My google search terms returned nothing relevant. So, finally, I stood in the adhesive aisle at a big box store for a half hour reading labels. So far, Liquid Nails Home Project Repair Adhesive seems to be up to the task. But I digress.
I was having fun playing with discarded safety envelopes, magnets, and a paper punch in the shape of a gift tag. Until said paper punch broke. After cutting it's 3rd shape. Ever.

But, a good thing did happen. While looking for a piece of thin-ish fabric to experiment with, I found these lovely little scraps that I hope are big enough to patch the knees and butt of my gardening overalls. 
The one on the right I've used before to patch jeans. Let's see, I think that would have been 22 or 23 years ago. Out of curiosity, can anyone out there explain the distinction between frugally saving things for possible future use and hoarding (apparently also known as pathological collecting)? There is a distinction, isn't there?

No comments:

Post a Comment