May 14, 2012

Mending My Ways?

Recently many things have conspired to encourage me to unearth my bags of clothing that require mending. Both the clothing and the bags that contain the clothing are in need of attention. First, I discovered the book Mend It Better by Kristin M. Roach. Then I stumbled upon The Big Mend by Scrapiana, aka Eirlys Penn, a fantastic idea for a group mending session with tools & tutoring available. If it was a bit closer than Bath, England I might have attended. Next I received an email from a friend who had just completed hemming seven pairs of jeans which made her think of me. (What? I'm nearly positive I have never hemmed anything in my life. Perhaps it was her new sewing machine that put her in mind of me.) Lastly, my very own brand spanking new copy of Mend It Better arrived via UPS. How could I not succumb to these combined forces of nature and mend away? Other than fixing the sleeve of a shirt I just thrifted - which I *cringe* cut when removing the price tag -  I have somehow managed to resist mending.

I have discovered how to read and knit at the same time (audiobooks!), but how to mend and look at all my pretty books that demand my full attention escapes me. In addition to Mend It Better, I ordered Grow Great Grub by Gayla Trail and Handmade Garden Projects by Lorene Edwards Forkner. And then there's all the library books I currently have on loan... 
Layered textiles: new surfaces with heat tools, machine and hand stitch
Thittichai, Kim

Weaving without a loom
Burningham, Veronica

Kids weaving
Swett, Sarah

Creative stitching on paper
O'Sullivan, Joanne

Fast, fun & easy fabric boxes
Johansen, Linda

Bento's sketchbook: how does the impulse to draw something begin?
Berger, John

Odd girl out: the hidden culture of aggression in girls
Simmons, Rachel

Odd girl speaks out
Simmons, Rachel

Free marketing
Cockrum, Jim

Marketing shortcuts for the self-employed
Schwerdtfeger, Patrick

This land is their land: reports from a divided nation
Ehrenreich, Barbara

Witches, midwives, & nurses: a history of women healers
Ehrenreich, Barbara & Deirdre English

Under my skin
Lessing, Doris

The grass is singing
Lessing, Doris

2 comments:

  1. Oh, thanks for the mention! I have only just discovered your blog and look forward to a leisurely read soon. A repaired apron of mine was featured (in a minor non-projecty way) in Mend it Better so I have a vested interest (kind of) in hoping it converts you to the ways of the mender. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Eirlys! Since I am too far away to attend any of your mending sessions I take encouragement and inspiration from your blog and facebook posts on mending. Thank you. Slowly but surely I am making my way through my mending pile...

      Delete