August 20, 2012

Case Makeover, Part 2

Before going any further, keep in mind that I am making this up as I go along. You're welcome to follow these steps to make a removable lining for a hard-sided suitcase, but there's undoubtedly easier ways to go about it. For instance, gluing the fabric to the mat board would be a million times faster with hot glue. I don't use hot glue since here because I don't trust it since the time one of my attic apartments got hot enough to soften the glue I used to bond pebbles to a table. The pretty little pebbles fell off one by one. Plus, I am using only materials I have on hand. Tapes, adhesives, boards, fastenings different from what I use would most likely work just as well.

See the previous post, Craft Show Display, for the beginnings of the case makeover. I left off with 2 mat board inserts, cut to fit the contours of the top and bottom of the suitcase.
I relied heavily on low-tack painters tape throughout the process. Temporarily wrap the fabric around the inserts.
Place them into the case to make sure the added bulk of the fabric doesn't prevent the inserts from fitting. If it does, trim the inserts to fit.
Once everything fits nicely, glue the fabric to the inserts. Because I had plenty on hand, I used Elmer's all-purpose white glue. 
 Use a scrap of cardboard to spread the glue evenly across the entire surface of the mat board insert.
Place the insert in the case, glue side up, and smooth the fabric in place. Leave plenty of excess fabric around the perimeter of the insert to use in a later step.
Tuck the excess fabric out of the way and measure the depth of the case from the top surface of the insert to under the metal rim. Mine measured 2 1/4 inches.
Cut strips slightly smaller than your measured depth from flexible cardboard. I cut my strips 2 3/16 inches wide.
I ran into a little problem. The cardboard strips did not stay aligned with the metal lip when bent around the sides of the case.
So I trimmed four separate strips to fit the mostly flat sides.
In the curved corners, the trimmed strips left a keystone shape.
Cut cardboard keystones to fit the corners. The height of the keystone should match the depth of your cardboard strips (here the keystone is 2 3/16 inches high).
Make sure the keystone shape fits snugly.
I used gummed paper tape to adhere the keystones in place. The adhesive is water activated. Use a moistened sponge or rag to wipe water across the adhesive side of the tape.
Then stick it in place like any other kind of tape.
Repeat for all 4 corners. Measure each keystone separately. Each of mine were a different size and shape.
Remove the cardboard band from the case and reinforce the back side of the corner joins with more paper tape.
When the tape is dry, cover the band with fabric strips.
Glue the fabric to the inside of the band, then wrap the fabric around to the back of the band and glue in place.
So far, so good...

No comments:

Post a Comment