September 12, 2012

Do You See What I See?

Last Saturday I needed to run to town to pick up some packages at the post office. I ordered a box of kraft stay flat mailers (100% recycled, 70% PCW) in which to ship Loyal Luddite cards and a box of tiny glassine bags (compostable, biodegradable, recyclable) in which to package Odd Bird Studio biblio tags, as seen above. [Biblio tags will be coming to the shop next week. They're hang tags, hand punched from de-accessioned library books that were destined for the landfill. Use biblio tags as gift tags, price tags, labels, etc. (Sorry Mum. That little box with the yellow ribbon and the tag reading to: Mum, is an empty box. It's just a prop.)]

Driving 10 miles to town, 10 miles back, 40 minutes just driving, to me feels awfully wasteful for a single errand. I always try to squeeze multiple chores / errands / activities into any trip to town. This past Saturday was no exception. After the post office, I went to the library to return a couple books and take a gander at the monthly Friends of the Library book sale. And what to my wondering eyes did appear but a box of sewing books priced none to dear!
Yes, that's right. The sign says $1.00. For the entire set of 22 sewing manuals. 

I must admit, I didn't crack open a single cover. I simply scooped up the box and waltzed over to the lady taking money and making change. She seemed as surprised by the price as I was. To put it in perspective, paperback fiction books were all priced $2.00 each, hardcover books and non-fiction varied in price. My little diversion to the book sale, devised to make me feel better about going to town to pick up my packages, certainly made the trek worth while. 

No comments:

Post a Comment