December 18, 2012

52 Books

In 2011 I started to keep a list of all the books I read over the course of the year. This act was precipitated by reading a novel I had read before. It was not until the last 5 pages or so that it dawned on me that I had already read the book at least once. Not that I have anything against re-reading books, but I was disturbed by not realizing I was re-reading. Hence, the list. 

Unbeknownst to me at the time, my friend Albert started to keep track of the books he read in 2011 as well. We discovered the coincidence in June. Unlike me, listing books read to aid my memory, Albert had a goal in mind. 52 books in 52 weeks. I took up the challenge, too. And continued it in 2012.

I am currently reading Grow Your Handmade Business by Kari Chapin, Waiting by Ha Jin, and The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin. I started 2012 with The Treehouse: Eccentric Wisdom from My Father on How to Live, Love, and See by Naomi Wolf (a re-read). Rather than make New Year's resolutions, I like the idea of reading a book that offers a framework of encouragement for how I want to live. A little reminder here and a little kick in the butt there to push me to grow and do what needs to be done. I'm getting a jump on 2013 with The Happiness Project.

The list contains only books read cover to cover and audiobooks listened to in their entirety. No magazines, journals, newspapers. Nor books dipped into to read one essay, a recipe, or figure out how to sew a French seam. Do you keep a list? What did you read this year? What was your favorite?

BOOKS 2012
The Help • Kathryn Stockett
Bel Canto • Ann Patchett
The Treehouse: Eccentric Wisdom from My Father on How to Live, Love, and See • Naomi Wolf
Kafka Was the Rage: A Greenwich Village Memoir • Anatole Broyard
Into the Woods • Tana French
Bastard Out of Carolina • Dorothy Allison
The Anthologist • Nicholson Baker
The Likeness • Tana French
The Salt Letters • Christine Balint
After Dark • Haruki Murakami
Saturday • Ian McEwan
Revolutionary Road • Richard Yates
Spousonomics: Using Economics to Master Love, Marriage, and Dirty Dishes • Paula Szuchman & Jenny Anderson
The English Patient • Michael Ondaatje
That Old Ace in the Hole • Annie Proulx
Faithful Place • Tana French
Slaughterhouse Five • Kurt Vonnegut
Woodland Style • Marlene Hurley Marshall
The Rebels of Ireland • Edward Rutherford
The Grass Is Singing • Doris Lessing
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer • Mark Twain
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn • Mark Twain
Too Much Happiness • Alice Munro
The Sense of an Ending • Julian Barnes
Park Lane • Frances Osborne
There's a (Slight) Chance I Might Be Going to Hell • Laurie Notaro
The Name of the Wind • Patrick Rothfuss
44 Scotland Street • Alexander McCall Smith
Emotionally Weird • Kate Atkinson
The Wise Man's Fear • Patrick Rothfuss
Slam • Nick Hornby
The Sleeping Murder • Agatha Christie
The Sunday Philosophy Club • Alexander McCall Smith
The Dud Avocado • Elaine Dundy
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest • Steig Larsson
Quakeland • Francesca Lea Block
Motherless Brooklyn • Jonathan Lethem
Loon Lake • E L Doctorow
The Tower, the Zoo, and the Tortoise • Julia Stuart
Disobedience • Jane Hamilton
State of Wonder • Ann Patchett
Taft • Ann Patchett
The Thirteenth Tale • Daine Setterfield
Away • Amy Bloom
The Shadow of the Wind • Carlos Ruiz Zaf√≥n
The Senator's Wife • Sue Miller
No! I Don't Want to Join a Book Club • Virginia Ironside
To the Wedding • John Berger
Friends, Lovers, Chocolate • Alexander McCall Smith
The Lotus Eaters • Tatjana Soli
A Short Guide to a Happy Life • Anna Quindlen
Photocopies • John Berger

No comments:

Post a Comment