February 13, 2013

Gray and Gold

Image source: Cleveland Museum of Art, http://www.clevelandart.org
Image Credit: Gray and Gold,1942. John Rogers Cox. Oil on canvas.
Memory of this painting keeps popping into my mind lately as I drive the whopping 2 miles from our rental house to our newly purchased house. Substitute paved roads for the dirt and this is my view. I first saw this painting at the Cleveland Museum of Art over a decade ago. At the time, I was not familiar with the landscape it depicts. But the painting arrested my movement through the gallery. The quality of light that seems to emanate from the golden wheat is striking. Especially when paired with the threatening heavy gray of the amassing clouds. (Reproduction does not do it justice.) I spent a lot of time looking at this painting. And now I experience similar vistas first hand every day. Something about that feels remarkable and good. Like this is the way it's supposed to be. Art and life one and the same.



No comments:

Post a Comment