November 4, 2013

Family Fibers

Tablecloths, table runners, place mats, round pieces of various sizes - doilies? coasters? table mat for a centerpiece? - dinner napkins, cocktail napkins. Just looking at these pieces that belonged to my grandmother makes me happy. I'd like to use them, but white table linens? Disaster waiting to happen, folks. Indeed, several of these pieces sport dark stains that are most likely coffee, perhaps gravy, possibly glögg.

For now I am enjoying the dreaming process. There are so many possibilities. Since most of the pieces feature cut work embroidery, I'm picturing the linens layered on top of colorful grounds. Tablecloths put to use as duvet covers. Dinner napkins as café curtains. Table runners as valences. A patchwork of pieces as roll-up blinds. Pillow covers. Drawstring bags. Fabric storage boxes & bowls. What would you make?

No comments:

Post a Comment