January 8, 2014

Beginnings

A new tradition was born in our house on New Year's day. We fired up the stove with needles and logs from last year's (well, 2012) xmas tree. Snap. Crackle. Pop. Up it went in brilliant flames and warmed our hearth.

And I've set an objective for 2014: Openness.

Openness began with a desire to improve my posture - which has deteriorated to a hunched slouch, how oh how did this happen! - and regain lost strength and flexibility. When I remember to sit or stand straight, I can feel my chest cavity open and my breath fill my lungs. It truly is an opening of body that feels restorative.

Add to that goal openness of mind and heart. Which, to me, means taking chances, trying new things, going out on a limb, exploring, experimenting, playing. Stretching my mind, creating a welcoming heart, and pushing beyond the limits my comfort zone. To begin, I've practiced some new knitting techniques (success!) and plan to finally read Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. I would have plunged into the book first thing this year, but The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt has me in its clutches. It's one of those books I want to do nothing else but read straight through, yet at the same time want to read it slowly to make it last forever. Not a bad way to kick off the year.

What are your resolutions, objectives, or themes for 2014? 

No comments:

Post a Comment