April 23, 2014

Honeysuckle Experiment

Image credit: © Natural Fencing
Source: http://www.naturalfencing.com/lev4_13_0_0_Planters.asp
With this hazel planter box by Natural Fencing as my inspiration, I dove into my experiment with invasive bush honeysuckle (idea first discussed here). One challenge was how to attach the corners. The hazel planter's corners are held together with nails or screws. I considered this method, but a) the Hubs had the drill and bits with him at work, b) I didn't have any nails or slender screws long enough, and c) the honeysuckle branches are hollow which may or may not pose a problem. 
Not to be dissuaded, I decided to try lashing the corners with hemp twine. After much book collection and internet searching for lashing and knot tying instructions I could actually follow well enough to replicate, I found useful videos at Animated Knots by Grog. I started with a clove hitch, then used a square lashing, tied off with a constrictor knot. I still need to add uprights along each side to act as the warp for weaving. I plan to lash those in place as well. Then we shall see if the sticks I've been soaking in a bucket for several days will be pliable enough to weave.

No comments:

Post a Comment