July 24, 2014

Cleaning-Out-the-Fridge Flatbread

In the fridge I had a single Yukon gold potato and a small amount of green grapes that were both at the point of use 'em or lose 'em. Plus a little bit of 4 different cheeses left over from a cheese tray last week. I focused on the goat cheese to go with the grapes and worked from there. I borrowed from a few recipes to end with this flatbread. Oh, it was delicious! And the two leftover slices were just as delicious cold from the fridge for breakfast. I wish there was more.
Rosemary Roasted Grape & Hazelnut Goat Cheese Flatbread

7-inch whole wheat pocket-less pita
1/8 cup raw hazelnuts
2 oz plain goat cheese
1&1/2 tsp honey
1 Tbs fresh rosemary, chopped
1/2 # seedless grapes (about 1&1/2 C)
olive oil, salt, pepper

Toast the hazelnuts in a dry skillet over medium heat. Cool slightly, then pulse nuts in a food processor until they make a coarse meal. Add goat cheese & honey & blend thoroughly.

Preheat oven to 400F. (I used my toaster oven for this step.) Line a sheet tray with foil or parchment - one with sides so the grapes can't roll away. Spread grapes on tray in a single layer, drizzle with olive oil, and roll the grapes around with your hands to thoroughly coat them with oil. Sprinkle with half the rosemary and a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast grapes in the oven until they begin to burst and lightly brown, 10-15 minutes. Check every few minutes and shake the tray to prevent the grapes from sticking.

While the grapes roast, lightly oil both sides of the pita. (I used these by Kontos, but you could use crostini or probably even a pre-baked pizza shell.) Toast both sides of pita in a grill pan over medium heat.

Spread goat cheese mixture on toasted pita. Top with roasted grapes. Sprinkle with remaining rosemary. Slice and eat this delectable combo. Heavenly.

<>  <>  <>  <>  <>

I haven't forgot the one, lonely, forlorn Yukon gold. I sliced the potato very thin and similarly sliced half a small zucchini and half a yellow summer squash. I also minced a Tablespoon or so of garlic.
In a large non-stick skillet, I heated some olive oil and began to cook the potatoes. When they started to look translucent, I used tongs to flip over each slice. After a couple minutes, I added the squash, zucchini, and garlic to the skillet and cooked everything until tender a bit browned.
On a second toasted pita, I layered the potato slices.
Then added the squash and zucchini.
Topped it all with the leftover brie.
And broiled it a bit too long. The cheese sure did melt. Those are the unmelted rinds making a crazy pattern on top. Regardless, this one was pretty darn tasty, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment