December 15, 2014

Tinkering

I've been tinkering with the repurposed purse design. This version remains a petite bag with a deep envelope flap closure.
Like versions 1 & 2, this purse is fully lined. Both the knit jersey lining (old t-shirt) and woven body fabric (upholstery sample) were rather stretchy. I like the unexpected undulation of the overcast stitched edging.
What's different in this version is the gusseted bottom. I like this design best, the other two versions were too flat to hold much.
But because this purse is a little more hefty, it feels like it needs a proper strap rather than a skinny cord. I'm stuck at this step. The diamond patterned fabric in the center is too bulky. The off-cuts of the purse fabric itself are too short. I have 3 matching pieces (a rarity in my scavenged stash!) of the orange and aqua striped fabric on the left. I may connect all three lengths to make a strap. Then there's the issue of making the strap adjustable. I'm thinking of fashioning the strap like a belt, with either a D-ring buckle or the antique gold buckle I have saved from some long forgotten belt. (And I just so happen to have matching grommets to reinforce the buckle holes.)
I also toyed with the idea of knit strap. Seed stitch in kitchen cotton is strong and doesn't curl. But it feels a bit too stretchy. I got a little addicted to knitting the 1 inch wide sample. I discarded it as a strap idea about 2 inches in, but couldn't stop knitting. I thought it might make a nice wrist cuff, but I couldn't stop knitting. Now, it might become a hair band. Unless I keep knitting...
If you have any purse strap suggestions or insights, I'd love to hear 'em!

4 comments:

  1. It looks to me like you're on the right path, Laurie! I kind of like the look of the belt buckle myself and your knitted strap is lovely, but I can imagine it might be too stretchy. Good luck figuring it out! These are the best kind of puzzles, though, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I do love a good puzzle. And I certainly do learn more from design-by-trial-and-error than by following a pattern. I'm leaning towards the belt buckle, too. Thanks for your input and for stopping by, Patricia.

      Delete
  2. I am feeling such a strong urge to be popping by your Etsy shop in the new year. There are a couple of things that I have taken rather a fancy to, including this bag - will you be listing any of those? I love the knitted strap, I agree on the wrist cuff - teamed with a funky button it would look great! A hair band is a good idea too or a belt especially if you can salvage another one of those antique gold buckles. On to the strap though... I really like the striped fabric, it makes a nice contrast to the bag but still blends well. Here's a thought... would you have enough of the bag fabric to add a shoulder piece to the striped fabric, but use the striped for the majority of the strap. Gee I hope that makes sense. I love an adjustable strap so I'm all for that idea too. What a fun project! By the way... I am so impressed that you managed to match the pattern up on the gusseted bottom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Xan. I'm so pleased some of my little wares caught your eye. Don't hold your breath waiting for it, but yes, I do plan to list bags in January. I really like your idea for adding a bit of the bag fabric to the strap at the shoulder. Thanks for sharing. After the holidays I'll try doing just that.

      Delete