October 21, 2015

Roasted Butternut Squash Hummus

The post I planned to share this week just isn't coming together. My thoughts about creativity and making are still scurrying to and fro. While it all coalesces (or not, as the case may be), here's a foodie post instead.

Inspired by this pumpkin hummus recipe posted at Mother Earth News, I made my own version. I didn't measure anything, but here's the gist of what I did in case you want to try it (which I highly recommend, this stuff is delicious!). I had half of a smallish butternut squash in the fridge, so I roasted it and then pureed it. I added about an equal amount of chickpeas and whirred them into the squash puree. And then, because hummus just isn't hummus without it, I added what was left in the container of tahini that was also hanging out in the fridge. It amounted to about 1/3 cup, I think. I always have chipotle peppers in adobo sauce on hand (it comes in little cans, stocked at the grocery with Mexican foods). In went about 1/3 of a chipotle and a glop of the adobo sauce. These four ingredients make for big flavor. While the food processor was running, I poured in a little water at a time until the hummus was the texture I wanted. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment