December 9, 2016

Process: Stitchery

Of late, stitchery has replaced photography in my daily creative practice. Specifically, reading about stitchery over coffee and breakfast every morning. The book is Slow Stitch: Mindful and Contemplative Textile Art by Claire Wellesley-Smith. I can't remember how or when I came across Claire's work, but it was love at first sight. The more I learn about her work and process, historical research and community engagement, connections to place and seasonal rhythms, the more deeply I appreciate her textile art. 

Focused on establishing a rhythm of studio practice as I am, it feels apt to be reading about and contemplating the rhythm of hand stitching. Practicing hand stitching will complete the circle. To that end, while being mindful of process over performance, practice over end results, I am excited to test a variety of embroidery flosses new to me: crewel wool, stranded silk, 50/50 silk/merino blend, Sashiko cotton, vintage Swedish linen floss, and 4 different weights of unwaxed linen thread. While I can imagine each type of floss serving a unique textural, structural, and visual function in a completed work, I am more interested in how each thread feels while stitching. Only one way to find out. With snow and rain forecast for Sunday, I plan to ensconced on the couch with needle and thread.

No comments:

Post a Comment