April 17, 2018

Tech Troubles

Hey chickadees, things are probably going to remain quiet here for the foreseeable future since my computer is not happy. I have a 10+ year old iMac that is wonderful in each and every way except that the display keeps going completely black. And the only place I have all the software I need, not to mention 10+ years worth of files and photos, is - you guessed it - the unhappy iMac. With an external hard drive on the way, supposedly compatible with my ancient operating system, backups of everything are imminent. At least that's something.
Does anyone else out there despise and resent planned obsolescence as much as I do? I haven't updated my OS since purchasing my iMac because upgrades would be incompatible with my Adobe Creative Suite software. And I can't update my Creative Suite, because I have the last version that was available for one-time purchase. It's all now only available by monthly subscription. Not only do I not have that kind of cash to spend endlessly on software, I'm not keen on constant updates and changes in usability. Wah, wah, wah, right? 
It's obvious that a new computer is necessary, but I have yet to figure out a workable (ie affordable within my budget) solution to my software needs. Any advice is gladly (and desperately) welcomed.

In the meantime, if the temperamental screen decides to work for more than 3 seconds at a time, I will try to keep up with yoni posts at the very least. But please, don't hold your breath. The tech gremlins aren't playing nice.
In other news, it's thankfully not all doom and gloom. I got completely immersed mending these jeans - the really focused immersion where time ceases to exist - and made them wearable again in a single afternoon. It feels so good to complete a project in a single, focused chunk of time. I forgot how good it feels.

The front legs were getting threadbare, with one knee busted out. I saved the packaging from a couple sets of flannel sheets that were sold inside cube shaped pouches sewn with the same fabric as the sheets. Picked apart, the pouches were each a cross shape of super soft cotton flannel. I lined the inside of each front leg of the jeans, from crotch to a few inches above the ankle, with a strip of flannel. After cleaning and oiling my sewing machine, I machine stitched the flannel into place. Then I zig-zagged back and forth over the busted out knee, attaching the frayed jeans fabric to the flannel. I covered that less-than-lovely looking mess with patterned calico on the outside of the jeans. They make me happy. And they're oh so buttery soft to wear.

No comments:

Post a Comment