May 22, 2018

Have Machine, Need Surface

With a week of rain (and lack of ambition) thwarting work in the yard, this past weekend I refocused on my studio. Namely, putting an end to my number one excuse for not starting the process of teaching myself to make my own clothes: no permanent work space to set-up the sewing machine and hold works-in-progess. That was my only goal. To create a work surface for my sewing machine. 

Before I blather more, explain something to me. How is it that the utter chaos of the mess engendered by any big rearrange of space does not look nearly as disruptive and crazy making in photos as it is being in the actual space? I just don't get that. I'm sitting in the space pictured above, right now, typing this. The chaos has rearranged and changed since taking the photos, but it's still uncomfortable to be in here amidst the clutter-y mess. Being in the space makes me nuts. While, oddly to me, looking at the photos of the space doesn't make me feel nuts. Weird.

Anyway, that's the studio pictured above, as of Saturday morning. The table I was using as a desk is flipped over in the foreground, waiting for me to remove the legs so as to fit it out the door to stack elsewhere until we figure out what to do with it. It was both too short lengthwise and too long depthwise to be useful in this room. 
Removing the table/desk, and moving the computer out of the way freed up the eggplant wall. I took advantage and patched, caulked, sanded, and primed with stain blocker. And the Hubs kindly replaced the dim, inadequate, ugly boob light ceiling fixture with an inexpensive, yet impressively bright, fixture.
Covering up that dark, light-sucking wall combined with replacing the ceiling light COMPLETELY changed the room. Oh yeah, the sun also came out Sunday for the first time in a week.
Here's where I am sitting now. Eight feet of uninterrupted work surface. A permanent work surface for the sewing machine. And did I mention BRIGHT? The quality of the light changed so much in here that the 3 super bright paint colors I was considering - that all looked pretty good in the previous murk - are now presenting way too intense. This is now the only room in the house that wants a soft color on the walls. I can roll with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment