June 20, 2019

Unsticking & Momentum


Tah-dah! Completed 3-D pod experiment. I still have no idea if this little pod wants a flotilla of friends (what better way to engulf the patriarchy than with an armada of vaginal shaped pods based on mother nature's designs!) or if it's a stepping stone to something else. And, still, it doesn't matter to me. The important thing, the ONLY thing, was to DO! DO as in stop thinking, agonizing, procrastinating, obsessing, perfecting in my head and just MAKE. Get started. Follow through. DO!

That's definitely my sticking point: getting started. But once I do start - something, anything - the momentum of doing carries me along and ripples out into other do-ings. So simple. So seemingly obvious. But vastly HUGE in effects when I put it into practice.

What I have found immensely helpful is to conceptualize the things I am avoiding - for one reason or another, with an unhealthy dose of justification and redirection in the mix (oh the ego trickster / chatty squirrels / monkey mind! Do be quiet!) - I conceptualize these areas of avoidance as stuck energy. Rather than cajole myself into washing the dishes, folding the laundry, getting in the studio, whatever, I think about tackling the task as unsticking. Unsticking the stagnant energy around it. Unsticking the self-recriminations that avoidance generates. Unsticking the icky feelings that arise from not doing the task. Because starting something is the biggest hurdle for me, I don't really think about it as "starting" any more. I am unsticking.
The momentum generated by unsticking leads to more and more unsticking. Working on the pod after months of avoidance carried over to unsticking a garden project that's been on the agenda for over a year. While digging in the dirt with the Hubs to install garden edging for erosion prevention, I unearthed the mega rusty pictured above. I have no idea what it once was, but it's heavy, hefty, and about 18 inches long. It's going to dye a lot of fiber, yes indeedy (which in itself is an unsticking of my studio practice).
The momentum from those unstickings carried into wanting to revive my Year of Yoni practice. I'm in the process of prepping the base triangles and plan to cut smaller triangles and circles to have on hand to facilitate / remove barriers to beginning one whenever the whim strikes.

And while the iron was hot and the cutting wheel was at hand, more unsticking ensued. I tackled t-shirt makeovers that have been languishing for 3 years or more. Seriously. I've had all the materials on hand, just no mojo to actually do as planned. Unsticking the pile of unwearable shirts with fun designs, turning them into wearable shirts (that actually fit me properly - after shortening them by 3.5 inches), was the biggest unsticking yet. Not only have I been avoiding it the longest out of all recent unstickings, my feelings around the project and my body were super negative and downright sludgy. Having unstuck the physical project, the burdensome weight of my negativity unstuck as well.

Seeing the physical unstickings, feeling a sense of accomplishment, enjoying the results of the work, all of it conspires to release the sludgy emotions, elevate the soul, and open the heart. What I am struggling to describe in my over-zealousness, I think, is what I mean by spaciousness. This unsticking and clearing, lightening and releasing, doing and momentum, what it all adds up to is spaciousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment