April 4, 2012

Ideas & Input

For anyone paying attention to back posts, The Evolution of a Logo is back. I took it down with the intention of rewriting it to include information about what to expect and ask should you choose to work with a graphic designer. This has turned into a bigger project then I first thought (will I ever learn?) and deserves its own post when I'm done gathering information. So, look for it sometime in the future.

This idea for a tutorial of sorts along with ideas generated through a lovely correspondence between this Odd Bird and the talented Victoria of Cedar Haus Wood Studio (like me, a new seller on Etsy) and my ongoing conversations with Annette about making a living as an artist without selling one's soul, as it were, has me thinking. A line of business-ish tutorials and/or artist interviews here on this little blog might be a handy resource for us creative types.

Sure, there's already a deluge of information out there. But sifting through it for the one piece of advice that applies in your own particular situation and fits your own unique sensibilities is an endless process. At least that's how I feel about it. Looking at my bookshelf, I count no less than 10 art and craft business advice books that I own. An estimate of library books I've read on the topic? At least 50, probably more. Plus, I just checked out two more titles yesterday and put in inter-library loan requests for 3 more. Clearly, I love books and information gathering. I always want to learn more.

Help me focus my efforts and I'll share my findings with you. What topics are most pressing / confusing / frustrating to you? Please use the comments link below this post to share your thoughts and ideas.  

3 comments:

  1. I think it's a great idea to do artist's interviews. It seems like there are always new ways to promote your business and it would be helpful to discuss which ones are the most effective and worth your time and money.

    For my own small photography business I'm finding it frustrating that other slightly larger local photography businesses are always offering groupon or living social coupons for portrait packages, which makes it difficult to stay competitive. I think it's important for small businesses to be able to promote themselves using those applications, but it seems like it results in a domino-effect of similar businesses having to also offer coupons or lower their prices as well, which cheapens the whole experience/product.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I struggle with pricing, too. It's easy for me to see how other shops/services/artists should not compromise their prices in an effort to be in line with the competition. Why I can't seem to apply this to myself, I don't know. I truly believe that it's OK to charge more than the competition if you explain why your items/service/artwork is valuable and worth the extra money. It's more about educating your market to appreciate your rate than pricing to what you think they will pay.

      This is a big topic. Thank you for bringing it up. There definitely needs to be more about this in future posts.

      Delete
  2. Masha had problems posting her comments. In an email she shared these issues as important to her as an artist.

    getting your work to sell
    going solo vs. finding a store/gallery
    getting sponsors for larger projects
    pricing of work

    ReplyDelete