August 23, 2013

Dog Days Recipe: Lentil Salad



LENTIL SALAD
This salad, like much of my cooking of late, was improvised with what I had in the fridge. I took it along to a potluck picnic yesterday. The only parameters were that it be picnic friendly (ie safe to sit out on a table in the heat) and restrictive diet friendly.

Being a picky non-meat eater, I am always hesitant to eat at potluck events. Most of the time I have no idea what any of the offerings contain. And I am just not willing to risk digestive armageddon by "accidentally" ingesting meat, meat broth, seafood, fish sauce, etc. Oh, the list is long. So. When I attend a potluck, I try to be all-inclusive in my donation by making it vegan, gluten-free, and nut-free. And I ALWAYS label the dish with what it contains. In my alternate reality, the perfect world, everyone else would do the same.  ;-)

TOOLS REQUIRED
cutting board, chopping knife

INGREDIENTS
salad:
1&1/2 C cooked brown lentils
4 C cooked brown rice (I like brown jasmine rice)
2 C finely chopped bell peppers, variety of colors
1/2 C minced flat leaf parsley (measured after mincing)

dressing:
1/4 C + 1 Tbs olive oil
3 Tbs red wine vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tsp mustard
3/4 tsp ground cumin
pinch of sugar
salt & pepper to taste

METHOD
Prepare & mix the salad ingredients in a large bowl. I already had rice & lentils leftover in the fridge. If you prepare either or both of them for this recipe, allow them to cool before mixing into the salad. In a separate bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Pour dressing over the salad, mix well, cover & chill until picnic time.

No comments:

Post a Comment