October 31, 2016

Sketchbook 10.31.16

Scum off the top. That's what my artist friend Annette calls it, the work that one creates after a hiatus from one's regular art practice. Just like a sedentary body will experience aches and pains when returning to regular exercise, the unused artist muscle has to be re-trained. And the aches and pains are the scum off the top; the initial, clumsy works that must be slogged through to get to the good stuff.

While I recognize the need to re-train my hand-eye connection and ability to draw from life - to realize the textile works (like this one) that live in my imagination - I'm starting smaller. I haven't drawn since 1992. I'm not quite up to the intense exercise regimen required to regain my ability to draw. Instead, I'm easing into art exercise slowly by re-training my photographic eye and learning to adjust from film to digital. It's not going to hurt as much as re-learning to draw and positive results will be quicker to achieve. I'm going to need the positive reinforcement to get me through the scum off the top of drawing, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment