March 27, 2013

Sewing Machine Research

The results are in from the unofficial sewing machine advisory panel. Bernina and Viking/Husqvarna are recommended based on reputation. A 1950s Morse machine and an external motor machine (think industrial/commercial) are highly praised by ladies who sew like demons. Yes, that's a compliment and it's laced with admiration. Oh, and my Dad phoned from winter hibernation in Barbados to endorse the Husqvarna chainsaw. (Chainsaw connection explained here.)
Who would have thought this little football helmet wearing girl would grow up to gasp - yes, GASP - over sewing machine demonstrations on YouTube? Wield a chainsaw? Yes, that's imaginable. Salivate over sewing machines? Well, to be fair you would have had to have some kind of scary crazy foresight to predict that something like YouTube would exist. So there's that.

Yes, that's a pic of me circa 1977, and yes, I gasped and clapped my hands over my open mouth while watching a Morse Fotomatic IV sew through 8 layers of denim like a hot knife through butter. The image quality isn't great, but what a beautiful machine! (Morse machines were manufactured by Toyota.)
I don't think this is a 1950s model as recommended, but completely mechanical (not computerized) with loads of stitch options. I spent hours trying to track one down with no luck. And then I found the Singer Commercial Grade CG-590.
Did you see that thing roll right over the changes in fabric thickness without a hitch? This machine has a relatively small price tag. That makes me suspicious. If it really is the workhorse it's purported to be, wouldn't it have a price tag to match? Anyone have experience with the Singer CG-590?

So, I still don't know what machine to get, but I've sorted out my criteria. 
  • It cannot have a computer. If it can't be fixed with a screwdriver and a can of oil I have no interest in it. 
  • It must have a variety of stitch options. Some of the older Morse machines only do straight stitch or zig-zag & straight. As beautiful and indestructible as they are, it saddens me a bit to turn them away in favor of more stitch options.
  • If it's new, it has to be commercial grade. Did you know if you use a home machine in your business it negates the warrantee? 
The chainsaw debate, however, is settled. Husqvarna is Dad endorsed. Enough said.

No comments:

Post a Comment