October 9, 2013

When Procrastination Pays

Speaking of kitchen sinks...
The cast iron sink we removed during the kitchen gutting is still sitting on the floor in front of the fireplace. Along with flattened packing boxes, parts to the 2 base cabinets we have yet to install in the kitchen, the compressor and finish nailer, and a host of other tools that are in use nearly constantly and don't yet have a permanent home.

I had planned to sell the sink on craigslist. But, for some reason I never got around to it. Now I know why. Because we can repurpose the sink in the garden! Wow, sometimes my conscious brain is so slow catching up to what I already know to be true somewhere in the nether misty regions of imagination.

If you take a peek at my facebook page now and again, you may have noticed my obsessive love with pallet lumber re-use. Along with the 2x4s we salvaged from our tear-out of the basement room, we will soon have enough reclaimed lumber to build a potting table like this.
image source: http://www.bhg.com/gardening/yard/tools/make-your-own-potting-bench/
But how much more versatile would it be with a sink? Well worth the effort, I think. Either keep the faucet intact and rig it up to the garden hose like this or simply use the hose itself as the water source. I like the idea of either piping the drains to nearby downspout water barrels or allowing the drains to fill buckets underneath the table. 
image source: http://www.dreamgardenwoodworks.com/2012/06/11/rustic-iron-wrought-large-sink/
image source: http://acultivatednest.com/2013/08/my-diy-salvaged-wood-potting-bench/

No comments:

Post a Comment